Biodiversity Group Research Themes:
The Biodiversity Research Group is a dynamic research team led by Associate Professor Salit Kark based at The University of Queensland, Australia with interests in conservation science and ecology. We are members of the Environmental Decisions Group and the ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions and are Project Leaders in the new NESP Threatened Species hub .
2. The role of spatial and behavioral interactions in the establishments of cavity nesting birds: A cross continental study
3. Aboriginal cultures and invasive species: investigating indigenous communication and perception of invasive species
4. Biodiversity conservation in urban and agricultural landscapes
2. The role of collaboration in conservation in terrestrial, marine and river systems (e.g., the Nile and Amazon)
3. Conservation on islands: threatened species and threatening process
4. Biodiversity along species ranges, transitional environments (ecotones) and ecological gradients
2. Systematic conservation planning and the importance of collaboration in the Mediterranean Basin and Mediterranean Sea
3. Exploring the use of big data in conservation.
4. Emerging conservation challenges and prospects in an era of offshore oil and natural gas exploration and exploitation and other threats to marine ecosystems.
5. Pathways for narrowing the gaps between science, policy, management and practice in conservation.
We have opportunities within the Biodiversity Research Group to apply for postdoctoral, PhD and Honours projects, as well as volunteer work. Our group has a range of exciting current projects that involve both field work and large spatial data analyses, GIS and global biodiversity research in both terrestrial and marine systems.
Our research crosses multiple spatial scales, from global and continental to local. We apply “big data” analyses, spatial modelling and field work to explore a range of conservation and ecological questions.
Back row (Left to Right): Isabella Oliveira, Steve Wilson, Carly Martin, Andrew Rogers, Hernán Cáceres Escobar, Diego Bezerra, Matt McKinney, Eduardo Gallo-Cajiao.
Front row (Left to Right): Carla Archibald, Salit Kark, Ruben Venegas, Maggie McKeown, Matt Philben, Emma Lee.
Photo Credit: Biodiversity Research Group